The Venetian Harbour
The harbor was built by the Venetians during their colonization in Crete and specifically between 1320 and 1356. It was considered as one of the most important commercial ports of the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. During the Venetian and Turkish period, Chania presented a high development in commerce and marine mercantile.
In 1645, the city falls into the hands of the Turkish army. After 25 years of war, the occupation of Crete by the Turks was official in 1669. The new rulers had no interest to maintain the port of Chania.
As a gift for his services to the Sultan during the 1821 revolution in Crete and Peloponnese, Crete was assigned to the Regent of Egypt, Mehmet Ali, during the years 1831-1841 and its then that the value of the port of Chania has been recognized.
Today the Venetian harbour with its lighthouse is the trademark of the city of Chania.